Saturday, July 16, 2005

The Golden Bear



Jack Nicklaus is one of my favourite ever sportsmen. In fact I reckon he is one of the greatest sportsmen ever.

At his peak he battled Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino and Tom Watson. During a period of 18 years he only ever finished out of the top 6 in a British Open on one occasion. He defined the modern game. He worked harder than anyone and his course management was second to none.

I remember studying him when I was hooked on the game. I idolised him during my late teens. He is simply the best. I wish him well in his retirement.

Comments:
Absolutely. He is a legend. I used to watch him in awe when I had been playing golf for a few years.

I was living in Canada at the time. I was keen then. During the summer holidays I was up at 6am, put my set of golf clubs on my back, and biked about 15KM to a Golf Course, played 36 holes and biked home.

Balancing clubs whilst biking was tricky, but I was amazingly fit then. It was great.

Being in Canada, the TV stations had good golf coverage. I also developed a liking for American Football (as a spectator sport).

I remember watching the likes of Kite, Crenshaw, Palmer, Watson, Player, and of course, Nicklaus.

I'm beginning to miss golf again...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?