Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Schapelle Corby

I have not yet commented anywhere on Schapelle Corby. I didn't really subscribe to the media hype over someone who doesn't live here and on an event happening in a different country to both hers and ours. But I've just read this and feel compelled to add this short post.

One thing I've have picked up from the coverage is how unfair the Indonesian system is and how they shouldn't be asking her to prove her innocence. I can't help but pick up vibes from the blogs and the media that Indonesia shouldn't have that system, as if it is our business!

Indonesia is not New Zealand. It's a sovereign state and as far as I'm concerned they can have any system they like. In my view, it's not for us to impose our 'better' system on them.

I'm also not passing any comment on her guilt or innocence. I wasn't there. Some believe this, some believe that and fair enough. I am ambivalent to her case.

Finally, our system is not perfect. Would Indonesians be bothered about David Doughty?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?