Sunday, May 22, 2005

Benson-Pope

Once again our pathetic weekend papers write garbage. I have just said I subscribe to the SST only because I want a weekend paper at home and I wouldn't use the Herald in my fireplace.

On the subject of Benson-Pope the reporter chooses to use quotes from people discussing corporal punisment as acceptable at the time.

Charmaine Pountney, former Auckland Girls' Grammar principal and member of the anti-corporal punishment group Campaign Against Violence in Education, said it was inappropriate for teachers to be charged now with something that was legal then. "You can't wind the law back."

In one paragraph the reporter mentions an unnamed (and thus unverifiable) study saying 98% of families 'used it':

Physical discipline was habitual in families at the time - one study showed that 98% of families used it, she said. By the early 1980s, many teachers had abandoned corporal punishment, and parents were questioning its use.


As AL points out at Sir Hiumphrey's, what possible relevance has an unnamed study of corporal punishment got to do with the allegations of serious abuse levelled at Benson-Pope?

You know, if it was all okey dokey why didn't DBP just say that in the House?

Hat tip: SirHumphrey's.

UPDATE: My wife has just pointed out I said I was having the weekend off. Can't help myself :).

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?